"The lesson [Henry David Thoreau] had taught himself, and which he tried to teach others, was summed up in the one word 'Simplify.' That meant simplify the outward circumstances of your life, simplify your needs and your ambitions; learn to delight in the simple pleasures which the world of Nature affords. It meant also, scorn public opinion, refuse to accept the common definitions of success, refuse to be moved by the judgment of others. And unlike most who advocate such attitudes, he put them into practice." (Walden and Other Writings by Henry David Thoreau--Edited and with an Introduction by Joseph Wood Krutch, Bantam Books, 1962, P. 1)

Friday, April 20, 2007

Immobilization

I have been battling migraines for years now, and they have been getting worse and worse. I recently visited an allergist, hoping to find that allergies were to blame. The determination of a single allergy, to cats, might explain why two of my worst migraine episodes were after visits to my mom's house and to the home of another cat-owning friend. But, that being the only allergy that showed up in testing, my hopes for eliminating foods or other factors, in order to prevent migraines, were dashed.

The physician who administered the tests, however, was very sympathetic to my plight. His wife has migraines, and he did not take my suffering lightly. He very enthusiastically recommended that I go on a prescription of a beta blocker, and wrote it up.

I started the beta blocker right away, and I was immediately relieved of any and all migraines. It's been six weeks now, and I haven't had to reach for my Imitrex (migraine pain-reliever) a single time. It is wonderful!

However, I am not sleeping well. I am having bad dreams. And I am experiencing bouts of depression. These are all familiar old ailments with which I have not had to deal for a while. For now, I'm sticking with the beta blocker, even though it may be to blame, because the migraine-free life is such a treat. But these other problems are immobilizing me somewhat, just as the migraines did.

No comments: