"The lesson [Henry David Thoreau] had taught himself, and which he tried to teach others, was summed up in the one word 'Simplify.' That meant simplify the outward circumstances of your life, simplify your needs and your ambitions; learn to delight in the simple pleasures which the world of Nature affords. It meant also, scorn public opinion, refuse to accept the common definitions of success, refuse to be moved by the judgment of others. And unlike most who advocate such attitudes, he put them into practice." (Walden and Other Writings by Henry David Thoreau--Edited and with an Introduction by Joseph Wood Krutch, Bantam Books, 1962, P. 1)

Monday, March 3, 2008

Medications Work

I feel that I should mention that I am on four medications to help manage my bipolar symptoms, and they are helping a lot. For so many years I tried to avoid medications, thinking they were unhealthy. I was wrong, and I'm so thankful for them now. For those who are interested, here is the list.

Atenolol--this is for migraine prevention and it took me from 13 migraines in the month of May 2007, to no migraines as soon as I began taking it.

Lexapro--for depression. I have not yet reached the dosage I need apparently, but we are taking it slow. It is helping.

Lamictal--for mood stabilization. I no longer experience nights of insomnia nor manic bouts of frantic energy. Being able to go to bed at the same time every night and to get up at the same time every morning is very helpful to my well-being. My doctors have emphasized repeatedly the importance of regular sleep for good health, mental and physical, and I'm thankful for this medication which is making this possible.

Lorazepam--this one I take as needed for greater than usual anxiety. It makes me sleepy, so I often end up taking it after an anxiety-producing event, and it calms me down.

I am so thankful for good health insurance. I don't want to be over dramatic, but bipolar disorder is a life-threatening disease. At the very least, I suspect I would have become, without these medications, a very heavy emotional weight for my family to carry. I feel very thankful for the help which has been given me.