"The lesson [Henry David Thoreau] had taught himself, and which he tried to teach others, was summed up in the one word 'Simplify.' That meant simplify the outward circumstances of your life, simplify your needs and your ambitions; learn to delight in the simple pleasures which the world of Nature affords. It meant also, scorn public opinion, refuse to accept the common definitions of success, refuse to be moved by the judgment of others. And unlike most who advocate such attitudes, he put them into practice." (Walden and Other Writings by Henry David Thoreau--Edited and with an Introduction by Joseph Wood Krutch, Bantam Books, 1962, P. 1)

Friday, July 13, 2007

Better Pictures of the Blue Quilt

Here are better shots of the whole blue quilt. This one is my favorite so far because of the hand-quilting. I discovered that I enjoy that part of quilting very much, even though it takes a lot of hours to do. As you can see, the quilt is made up of fifteen squares, and each took just over and hour to quilt.

The top went quickly, though. I used the random piecing method again, which goes very fast. I just ripped fabrics into three-inch wide strips of various lengths, then sewed them together end to end. I then cut that one long strip into fifteen strips of about 70 inches in length each. These I sewed into three lengths, each five strip wide. These then were cut to make the squares.

This is another small quilt, just 45 by 70 inches. Just right for a child to snuggle up in.

1 comment:

Emily A. said...

Your quilting talents astound me! I can't wait to join in one of these days!