"The lesson [Henry David Thoreau] had taught himself, and which he tried to teach others, was summed up in the one word 'Simplify.' That meant simplify the outward circumstances of your life, simplify your needs and your ambitions; learn to delight in the simple pleasures which the world of Nature affords. It meant also, scorn public opinion, refuse to accept the common definitions of success, refuse to be moved by the judgment of others. And unlike most who advocate such attitudes, he put them into practice." (Walden and Other Writings by Henry David Thoreau--Edited and with an Introduction by Joseph Wood Krutch, Bantam Books, 1962, P. 1)

Thursday, July 5, 2007

Homemade Yogurt Revisited

I keep tweaking my yogurt recipe, and the results get better and better. Here are the supplies for my latest version. My new discovery is that I can use the whey I drain off of one batch as the liquid in another. Here's how it's done.

At about 9 a.m., I begin the first batch by mixing two cups of dry milk powder into two cups of warm water in a clean quart jar. I stir about a quarter cup of good plain yogurt into this as a starter, fill the jar to the brim with water, and place the lidded jar into the yogurt maker, and plug it in.

About twelve hours later, 9 p.m., the quart jar is now filled with warm yogurt, which I pour gently into a strainer lined with a coffee filter. The strainer sits inside a larger bowl to catch the whey. This all goes into the refrigerator.

About twelve hours after that, 9 a.m., I have delicious, thick, creamy yogurt in the strainer, and whey in the bowl underneath. I use that whey in place of some of the water in a new quart jar, as I begin another batch of yogurt, and I eat the freshly drained yogurt with berries and homemade crunchy wheat cereal. This breakfast is delicious and very nutritious, and inexpensive as well.

No comments: