"The lesson [Henry David Thoreau] had taught himself, and which he tried to teach others, was summed up in the one word 'Simplify.' That meant simplify the outward circumstances of your life, simplify your needs and your ambitions; learn to delight in the simple pleasures which the world of Nature affords. It meant also, scorn public opinion, refuse to accept the common definitions of success, refuse to be moved by the judgment of others. And unlike most who advocate such attitudes, he put them into practice." (Walden and Other Writings by Henry David Thoreau--Edited and with an Introduction by Joseph Wood Krutch, Bantam Books, 1962, P. 1)

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Pink Quilt and the Shibori Dragon

I finished hand-stitching this pink quilt in the wee hours this morning. While sewing, I watched a documentary about the importance of supporting local businesses over box stores. That being on my mind, I perused the yellow pages this morning and found that we do indeed have a local quilting supply store, The Shibori Dragon. The Artist and I headed over there and she and I had a great time browsing, as she helped me pick out four gorgeous fat quarters for an upcoming project. You can drool a little yourself over their selection here if you want to, although I highly recommend an in-person visit, if you can do it. It is a place full of beautiful things. As I have found with photographing my quilts, fabrics really need to be seen first-hand to be appreciated fully.

I'm especially excited about finishing this little quilt, because it is going to our church quilt drive, and I have for so long wanted to make and donate a quilt like this. I am amazed that I actually finished it. It is a triumph for me.

I hope some little girl loves this quilt until the fabric thins and wears away to nothing, as my little girls have loved the simple quilts I made so long ago for them.

2 comments:

Naomi said...

The quilt is beautiful. I checked out the quilt store you went to online. It's very cool. Not so cutesy like the other one I went to.

Emily A. said...

Yay! You make beautiful quilts, and you are making one for me and the new baby. That makes me happy!!!