"The lesson [Henry David Thoreau] had taught himself, and which he tried to teach others, was summed up in the one word 'Simplify.' That meant simplify the outward circumstances of your life, simplify your needs and your ambitions; learn to delight in the simple pleasures which the world of Nature affords. It meant also, scorn public opinion, refuse to accept the common definitions of success, refuse to be moved by the judgment of others. And unlike most who advocate such attitudes, he put them into practice." (Walden and Other Writings by Henry David Thoreau--Edited and with an Introduction by Joseph Wood Krutch, Bantam Books, 1962, P. 1)

Monday, May 14, 2007

Decorating in Check

There are so many beautiful things in the world. When I began decorating, I took a tip from a professional who advised finding something--a piece of fabric, or a rug, or a painting--with a color pallete and style that you love, and then using that as a guide. The idea is to keep from having too many conflicting styles and colors in your home. I found that to be the best decorating tip ever, and it has saved me many times from going too far astray in my choices of acquisitions. When there is a decision to be made, I think of these little plates, and they help me keep my focus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What pretty plates!! Can see why you loves them. I am a berry lover - don't decorate with them but something about berries are so sweet, organic and rich in so many ways. And, they remind me of my Washington friends!

Emily A. said...

i like them very much and your quilt looks like it fits!