"The lesson [Henry David Thoreau] had taught himself, and which he tried to teach others, was summed up in the one word 'Simplify.' That meant simplify the outward circumstances of your life, simplify your needs and your ambitions; learn to delight in the simple pleasures which the world of Nature affords. It meant also, scorn public opinion, refuse to accept the common definitions of success, refuse to be moved by the judgment of others. And unlike most who advocate such attitudes, he put them into practice." (Walden and Other Writings by Henry David Thoreau--Edited and with an Introduction by Joseph Wood Krutch, Bantam Books, 1962, P. 1)

Thursday, May 17, 2007

A Sewing Closet

Three things intersected in the last few weeks that changed my life in a very happy way. The result is, I made a quilt, and I am working on a second one, and having lots of fun at it. First of all, I started on some new medication, which I think has connected some wires in my brain to counteract one aspect of ADD, which was my inability to finish projects. Secondly, I found Amy's blog, which features, among other wonderful things, pictures of her quilts, which have inspired me, like no other quilts, with their simplicity and beauty. And thirdly, I now have this sewing closet. It is messy, and not nice to look at, I know, but that is just the point. When I am done sewing, I just put the chair back across the room, curl up the extension cord, and close the doors.

This is a luxury I have dreamed of for a long, long time. Thank you to Middle Son for vacating the closet, and to Doodook for giving me Grandma's little drop-leaf table. And thank you, God, for orchestrating it all. I am quite thrilled with the outcome.

1 comment:

Emily A. said...

Im happy that you have found joy and fun in making quilts. You're real grandma material!

Do-dook...mmh..i still think he should spell it dooduke. Lol.

love you!